Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Trafalgar Square, Household Cavalry and the Big Ben!

[14 May 2010] On the very next day of my arrival, Alvin brought me to London to mark the start of my official holiday in England (Woooot woooot!!!). We went by train from Strood Station (we were there by 10:30am) and alighted in London via the Charing Cross Station. Our train ride was almost an hour so it gave me plenty of time to observe the suburbs.

There are also quite a lot of old and small apartments along the way and pockets of poverty are also visible on many areas. Vandalism and graffiti are prominent displays on the railway itself with some garbage dumps—scenes that are very typical to highly urbanized cities. But since there’s unemployment subsidy in United Kingdom, the so-called “poor” still has access to basic necessities such as food and housing. You can’t see any makeshift houses! Everyone therefore lives a pretty decent life even in the absence of jobs. In fact, the government is now complaining the constant increase of unemployed dependents which is now seriously hurting government’s finances. Hahaha, the negative side of social subsidy is that people tend to refuse to go back to work! We know we can’t blame them.

Busy London Streets
 
(Going back to my leisure mode) Out in the Charing Cross Station the city is quite dim and cold. Maybe it’s true that you don’t see much sunshine in London unlike when you are in the countryside. There are a lot of people, mostly tourists, heavily swarming the streets.



The Nelson's Column
We actually didn’t know where we’re headed until minutes later we stumbled upon a plaza which turned out to be the famous Trafalgar Square. The Square used to be the home of political demonstrations in London and the name commemorates their victory in the Battle of Trafalgar during the Napoleonic Wars. At its center is the towering Nelson’s Column (named after the Battle’s great Admiral Nelson) which is guarded by four huge (well, it’s really huge) bronze lion statues. There are also pretty fountains in the square, which I believe is even more impressive to see at night.

The Trafalgar Square

At the north side of the Trafalgar Square are the stairways leading to the neo-classical National Gallery. Unfortunately, we were not able to visit it (or any museum for that matter, huhuhu…) because of lack of time. Our agenda for going to London on that day was really to do some shopping. Since I didn’t bring much clothes with me given my small luggage, I just decided that I’ll just buy clothes (note: just cheap ones!) when I get there. There's a lot of free art galleries around London and I guess one really has to devote a day or two with gallery-hopping as the only itinerary.

The National Gallery
 

The Household Cavalry
We also happened to passed by the Household Cavalry while doing some random walking along the Whitehall Road. The Cavalry is made up of the Regiments of the British Armed Forces, which is kind of complicated to explain further, haha! All I know is that these soldiers are really all-out in their service to the point that they have willingly become statues mobbed by tourists like me! And to ride in a huge horse like that in the middle of a very cold weather without moving is what you call dedication. Take a closer look of my picture with a British Life Guard and you’ll see that he’s peeking on me at the corner of his eye. Whether he’s peeking at me because he thinks I’m pretty or because I’m a pale-faced weirdo was one thing left unresolved.:-)


The Cavalry Grounds

A few meters away we already saw the Palace of Westminster which was being renovated at that time. And there it is—the Big Ben—which is the most popular landmark in United Kingdom. I was stunned looking at it for a few minutes, not because it was really something beautiful (it’s just a clock…) but rather because of the fact that I am looking at it in reality. “I’m here, I’m actually here…” which is what I told myself while staring at it. This is not a photograph—it’s here in front of me! This made me feel how gooooood God is. No, not just good, a spoiler that is! Getting me in Europe was a clear spoiling act from Him, I can’t accept any other sensible explanation for that.


Big Ben and the Red Telephone Booth

 "Felicity"
"Photographer"

We didn’t stay long at Westminster as we have to go to Oxford to see what we can buy. Oh gosh, name every shop you may know and it’s there in Oxford! But with all the shops, left and right, guess how many items I was able to buy: one blouse and a pair of sneakers. Oh yes, our legs ached with all the walking from one store to another and I just can’t find any clothes—it’s either because if I like it, Alvin doesn’t want it. And if Alvin wants it, what a pain I don’t like it!!!! Oh my, did I just exposed that we argue about my clothes??? In fairness to him, it usually starts as a constructive way to choose what proper clothes to buy, but when you’re tired and at worse, minding a swollen leg, contrary opinions doesn’t help. Talking about it “after” is funny, but at that exact moment believe me, it’s really exasperating. (I’m the one writing this blog that’s why it’s my side that prevails, Alvin John.) :-)

The Oxford Shopping Lane
And to top of it all, the Oxford Circus station is closed! It means we have to look for another tube station to get home. And where’s the nearest tube? That we don’t know. I can’t remember whether we have a map at that time, all I know is we pushed our aching legs to the limit by wandering in a very cold afternoon breeze.  Around fifteen minutes later, it was such a big relief to see that we are finally heading back to Trafalgar Square where Charing Cross station is located. Yihaaa!

Ripley's London


The truth is, we are just simply happy to be together again.
Only, London made the reunion extra special. :-)

A&R Happy-Happy Together!

No comments:

Post a Comment