Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Eng-land at First Sight

Even before Alvin left for UK last January of this year, we already planned that I will visit him if only to give a break for another long work-related absence. And came May 13, with my first ever visa approved, I was able to set foot in the land of Europe for the very first time.


MNL-DXB-LHR
The flight was long and boring, of course, with me just talking to myself and the screen for more than sixteen (16) hours. Fortunately I had a stress-free experience from the immigration and custom officials, particularly the immigration officer who gave me a pleasant smile while telling me to enjoy my stay. When I finally walk out of the arrival gate, I effortlessly saw Alvin (in black sweater) wearing his typical teasing smile. As usual, we can’t look on each other’s eyes at first… Opo, nagkakailangan kami sa tuwing magkikita muli sa unang pagkakataon matapos ang mahabang pagkakawalay. Hindi pa kami nagmintis dyan. :-)


Alvin picked me up with a company-hired taxi with a British-Indian driver named Ash. My first question was “Nasaan ang Europe?” as we are on our way out to Heathrow Airport premises. It’s because all I can see was a normal highway, baliktad nga lang ang orientation! I was really looking forward to get the feel of a “different world” as soon as I step down of the plane.

But not too long enough, my smile started to show and my eyes started to widened as I saw one after the other, the vast green fields unfolding in front of me. Ayun ayun ayun… may black and white spotted na baka na nakikita ko lang dati sa lata ng birch tree, may mga puting tupa, ang daming kabayo na hindi pang-karera, at mayroong yellow field na pagkaganda-ganda. Hai, I still have that first vivid memory in my head. :-)


After an hour or so, we finally arrived at Alvin’s flat in Kent. Out in the cab, it was the cold breeze pricking my skin that waved the final banner “Welcome to England Rowsie!!!” Yiihaa, malamig nga. And just by the look of the neighborhood with old brick houses, at last, I come to terms with myself that I am now half-the-world away from my life in Manila.


However, I didn’t have much time savoring my next few hours as exhaustion from the long, weary flight catches up on me. Next thing I know, I was already drowned into slumber. ZzzZzzZZzz..

No comments:

Post a Comment